Saturday, April 23, 2011

Juliet Arrighi: A Dahlia Fold Fan





Today I want to show you how to make a fan embellishment for your paper projects that will lie flat.  Of course you can make an accordion folded fan, but it will not fare well once you stuff it in an envelope.  This fan is deeply dimensional, but flattens nicely.


The two main things you will need are double-sided paper and circle punches.  The radius of your fan will be the diameter of the circles you will need to cut.  For example, if you want a fan that is two inches wide, you will need a one inch circle punch.  If you don't have double-sided paper, then color the back by brayering or burnishing with a dye ink.


If your paper has a repeating motif, try to punch your circles so that they are identical.  


This paper doesn't have a repeating motif, so I tried to simply make sure they looked as similar as possible on the top edge.
Crease each circle into quarters by first folding it in half vertically, opening it back up, then folding it in half horizontally, then opening it again.  This is the back of my demonstration piece.   I cannot stress this enough - keep track of the top of your circle!  Double-check before you fold!
With the back side facing up, fold the curves towards the center, using the bottom and side creases as guidelines.  Because the back side is up, it is very easy to accidentally fold the wrong edges.  Double-check before you fold!
To complete the "petal", flip it over so the right side is up.  fold the two folded edges from the previous step to the center crease.  It looks a little open in this photo because I'm not pressing it down, but the two edges do meet in the middle.
Put an arc of glue on your base.  I like tacky glue for this because I can slide the petals around to adjust them.  This base is an ATC, and the circles I am using here are 1 1/4 inches.

Here is the completed card.  After I glued the petals in a fan shape, I put a doodad in the middle.  This particular doodad is a gold charm, and it already had a hole for a ribbon.   I like putting ribbons on my fans, a consequence of too many years at the ren faire.
You can go to any size.  You can see by the grid underneath that the circles are only slightly over a half inch in diameter.  Note also that I carefully punched the paper to give me identical circles, and lined them up so that the white flower is at the top.

It's an inchie!  a fancy brad is enough for a hinge.
Stripes are great for these fans, but one again, be careful how you line them up!  they will look good either horizontal or vertical, but terrible if you mix them up or don't pay attention.
This is a standard size card.  I used 2 inch circles, and to make the handle, I first punched a small flower out of gold cardstock, then punched a hole for the ribbon.  I wrapped the ribbon in gold wire to make a handle.  See how dramatic the stripes are?

I hope you will give this a try.  I would love to see your results!

Juliet Arrighi

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - what a wonderful technique - thanks so much for sharing! I would like to try it, but not sure if these old fingers can handle such small pieces - maybe I'll try one with LARGE circles LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial - such a beautiful, *flat* fan technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! and a great tutorial. Thank you for sharing. I shall certainly be having a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic tutorial...many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial, Juliet. Thank you so much,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tutorial and what fantastic cards ... thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tut! I love teabag folding and haven't done it in forever. Perfect for the challenge. thanks for the great tut! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific tutorial, and so great that it lays flat. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love learning new techniques and will give this one a go- I really appreciate you including how to alter the circles to fit on any size card all of the way down to an inchie. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful folded fans, Juliet! Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I like it that it lays flat. The fan itself is an illusion, it looks like many pieces were used then glued together, not just 4 circles. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this tutorial! Thank you for sharing this beautiful technique. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for a fan - love the folds used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your wonderful technique with all of us! Your tutorial is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so distinctive! Really plush and very pretty. Thank You!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute I must link it to my Facebook Fan page. You can find it at vintageterrace2 on FB.

    Thanks again for following on my blog.
    Coleen in Ukraine
    www.vintageterrace2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous! and a cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! Love this fan. I definitely want to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin