Friday, May 13, 2011

Stephanie Severin: Single Layer Mist Masking

I have an entire drawer of ink mists, and love using them to create cards. In my tutorial today, I'm going to show you how I create a single layer card incorporating masking and lots of misting. It's also a great technique that will work with digital silhouette stamps and printed images.

I started by positioning a vintage cowboy rodeo image (from Graphics Fairy) and printing it on high quality white cardstock (I use Neenah Solar White).

I sized my image, so it would be completely covered by a sticky-note mask. I added a bit of temporary adhesive around the 'non-sticky" edges to help hold it down.

Next, I inked Hero Arts Flourish Pine with Versamark, stamped it on the card front, and clear embossed. Apparently, the last time I used the stamp it was with Red ink that I didn't get entirely cleaned off. Thankfully, for me, I'm working with Red on this card, so it won't affect the outcome.

I put the card in my spray box (a long cardboard box with the top cut off) and sprayed it with Oriental Poppy Glimmer Mist.

Once it had dried a bit, I removed the post-it note. The post-it note I used for this project was exceptionally thin, so I got a bit of ink bleed through. Thankfully, I like the effect and think it will work for this western-themed card.


Next, I sprayed it with Jingle Belles Glimmer Mist and Perfect Copper Perfect Pearls Mists to get a wonderful overall sparkle. I used a baby wipe to wipe the mists from the embossed texture and let this dry overnight.

I used my heat gun to help flatten the paper a bit (it will curl some from the wetness of the mists) and then used a ruler and black sharpie marker to draw a frame around my image.

I finished my using strong double sided tape to attach my image to the card base (you'll need a strong adhesive due to the curling from the mists). I added a Hero Arts sentiment stamped on a scrap of yellow misted cardstock and multiple wraps of black twine to finish my card.

I hope this tutorial gets you thinking about ways to play with your mists and masks.

6 comments:

  1. That looks AWESOME! I really love the bleed through, too! LOL! Thanks for sharing this! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice tut!
    I love that you explained the unexpected opportunities and made them work to your advantage!
    Thankyou!
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome technique! Love how you showed what could go wrong and how to embrace it!! Great finished card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this technique, it is awesome. And I really like that the ink came through the post-it note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Love the resist and splatter effects you've achieved - great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin