Monday, June 20, 2011

Gayle Page-Robak: Creating Backgrounds

By: Gayle Page-Robak, Mixed Media & Digital Artist
For: Gingersnap Creations on behalf of the Altered Pages Design Team

I have elected to present a fun and relatively simple background. This "CITRASOLV BACKGROUND" requires relatively few supplies and can be very addictive.
Items required:
CITRASOLV (cleaner and degreaser);
Small spray bottle;
Sheet of plastic to protect your work space area;
White Paper Towels;
Cotton Balls & cosmetic rounds (optional);
Glossy magazine or book pages (my preference-National Geographic Magazines).
1. Select and tear out glossy magazine/book pages of your choice, taking into consideration the colors you would like to work with.

ORIGINAL GLOSSY PAGE:
2. Lay your plastic sheet over your work area to protect the work surface.
3. Place some paper toweling over the plastic. This will absorb any liquid over-sprays.
4. Place your page selection on the paper towel.
5. Pour some of the CITRASOLV solution into the small spray bottle.
6. Spray the entire surface of your glossy page.
7. Let this sit for a few seconds while you "wad" up a piece of paper towel.
8. With this wad of paper towel in your hand, begin to gently manipulate the Citrasolv-covered glossy page until you have achieved an altered page to your liking. If you so choose, you can also add droplets of the Citrasolv solution to your page for effect.
9. Let your altered page dry naturally. It doesn't take long since the paper is not thick.

COMPLETED ALTERED BACKGROUND:
10. Cut to desired size for your paper arts project. Great for card backgrounds, covering box art projects, etc.

I have added a number of completed altered Citrasolv backgrounds here so you can see a variety of backgrounds you can use in your paper arts.





This is a card I have created with my sample Citrasolv background paper. I selected an image from a collage sheet I created for ALTERED PAGES entitled "LesChapeau AP#1943". I have digitally created my art piece but it is as easily created manually as a paper arts piece. I would suggest you adhere your newly created background piece to a piece of cardstock. This will provide stability before you add it to your actual card base. Cut out your image, backed by another piece of cardstock which will give it a narrow frame, and affix it to your Citrasolv Background. Embellish and Enjoy! Hugs, Gayle
By: Gayle Page-Robak, Mixed Media & Digital Artist
For: Gingersnap Creations on behalf of the Altered Pages Design Team

21 comments:

  1. Fabulous effects!! We dont have Citrasolv in the uk- what is its main 'ingredient'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might have to acquire a bottle of that - next trip, where did you get it? Supermarket, DIY store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if anybody knows if there is an alternative for citrasolv here in Europe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab papers Gayle....I know the alternative here in Europe...gotta go get the name of it...will post it here when I find it........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am back,,,Nevr-dull magic wadding polish and
    one in Germany is in a tube and creamy but you rub it on the magazine page instead of spraying it on but it does the samething. Plus I have tried a few other houshold UNSCENTED cleaners in liquid form and they work too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok found the name of the one that works best in Germany...Sodasan Orangen Universalreiniger...you can order it from vivanda dot de.
    The main ingredient is Tensiden...teniside I English I think...Orange oil and Xanthan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous backgrounds and great post Gayle - thank you. Love the comments coming through. Thanks Cynthia for the research - will have to go to my cleaning cupboard and see what I have got and have a go.
    Have a good week everyone.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great.. I havent heard of any of the cleaning products mentioned in the post or by the lovely Cynthia who kindly did all that research, in the UK , So not entirely sure what sort of product to be looking for. ( I will ask my best friend GOOGLE lol)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial, Gayle, thank you! Like the other commenters I would love to know the UK equivalent and thank you to those who have looked into it. I have a bottle of orange oil and I have degreaser sprays. Maybe it wouldn't hurt just to try a few things .........!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tutorial from Gayle.
    Lynne M x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of these backgrounds, so beautiful and you card looks lovely. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fascinating process--and so simple!
    Gotta try this one!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gayle, wonderful tutorial and way easier than I was doing. for those who don't know I got mine in a health food store. AND really onld National Geographic doesn't seem to be as good as newer issues. different inks me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial. I haven't found it in Canada so thanks Chris. I love the backgrounds you made Gayle and your digital piece is beautiful. Thanks..Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tutorial. What fab backgrounds! Now that I read the tutorial, I recall spilling Goo Gone on a magazine cover and it "smeared it." That was before I re-started art-ing so I hadn't thought of it for years! Thanks much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A fantastic tutorial, thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am buying some today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these are gorgeous!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice tutorial; wonderful backgrounds! I'm going to have to give it a try. In the meantime, I'm posting a link on my FB page! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic tutorial--so many wonderful examples and such easy directions! Thanks so much Gayle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous tutorial and some wonderful examples. Wow thank you Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To all the UK people asking about Citra-solv, you can buy it on amazon.co.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000WR8C7O

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin