Friday, July 8, 2011

Suzanne Brookfield: Faux Metal - Using Mirri Card

Wow, I cannot believe how quickly my turn for a tutorial comes round again. I always get so nervous – even though I am an organised person I don’t craft in an organised way and I am frightened I will miss something out or even worse nobody is interested.

Anyway enough waffling from me – get to the business! This is a very brief tutorial but the end result can be used in lots of ways. Not all of us are fortunate enough to have in our stash metal embossing tools so this is a technique to get a similar effect without the right (and sometimes expensive) tools.

Supplies

• Mirri card – I have used gold and silver

• Embossing Machine & Folders

• Stazon Ink (or alcohol inks if you prefer)

• Kitchen roll

• Eyelets (optional)


1. Using Mirri card through your Cuttlebug (or other machine) is a cheap and effective way of getting a metal look finish to your work without the finger breaking work too. Remember that any embossing folder can be used so your flora or deco folders would also look great.


2. Using your Stazon ink pads (or alcohol inks) work the colour into the embossed Mirri card. I swipe the ink pad over the card in the first instance and then rub in using the kitchen towel. Just keep adding layers, wiping/buffing with kitchen towel until you are satisfied with the effect. Try and work the colours into the embossing.



3. My recommendation is to leave the stazon between colour applications for a couple of minutes or you may find that you just wipe off the last colour added.

4. I also add touches of alcohol ink if I wish to highlight any areas.


See, I told you my tutorial was brief and simple – but I do think it’s really effective and below is a small book showing how I have used the mirri card background. The book was a “pamphlet or leaflet” from a clothes label, which I painted with gesso and then distressed using a mixture of distress inks, peeled paint, faded jeans, walnut stain and tea dye.



I then overstamped on the pages using appropriate stamps and then added embellishments primarily from the steampunk range of papers from Graphic 45. The cogs were made using the Tim Holtz die cut and the mirri card as above. More pictures can be found on my blog of the finished pages.


Thank you for popping by and reading. Suzanne Brookfield ~x~

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for this great tutorial. It will be very useful for the steampunk challenges. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous!! I have some of this paper somewhere......Can't wait to give this a go! Great tutorial! You are better at it than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial--very effective with those cogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi: I am your newest follower. Just needed to say you are amazing. What talent you have! Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, love the little book you have created

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using my Cuttle so always looking for new tutorials, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks fun! Thanks for the tutorial! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have played with similar paper and it is fun. Thanks for the tutorial.It is very useful....Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brillaint idea and also to make the pages of the pamphlet special as well is inspired.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tutorial is so clear and helpful. Thank you so much. I love your final project too,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous project and fab tutorial, Suzanne! Don't worry about it being short, either - my very favorite techniques are exactly like this - huge impact and not so very time intensive. This is great - I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! Thank you!
    I have never heard about Mirri paper...
    Where have you bought the cool steampunk embossingfolder you have used in this tutorial?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin