Monday, September 26, 2011

Astrid Maclean: Halloween Treat Cone Tutorial

Hello fellow Ginger Snap creative folk,
This is Astrid with my second tutorial for the month of September.

As Halloween is getting closer and friendship is the theme this month I decided to create a project that could be a gift for a friend this Halloween and called it “Halloween Treat Cone”.

Here is a template to create your cone, I have sized it so it will fit an A4 or 8.5 by 11” piece of cardstock.

This is what you do:
1. Print the template onto a white piece of cardstock
2. Decorate as you like (in a moment I will give you the description of how I decorated mine)
3. Score and fold along the glue-strip
4. If you want a triangular shaped cone, score along the dotted line
5. If you want a round cone, omit this step
6. Add strong adhesive to the glue-strip, and fold into a cone taking care to make a sharp point at the bottom
7. Punch 3 equally spaced holes along the top, about ¼ to ½” from the top rim
8. Thread through ribbon or string, fill with Halloween treats and your gift is ready.

You could also make several smaller cones of course and hang them to make great Halloween decorations.



This is how I made my cone:
I printed the template onto white card stock and cut it out. I painted the one side with dark orange acrylic paint and then decoupaged the top layer of a Halloween paper napkin onto this and trimmed it around the template shape. I then lined the inside with a piece of paper from the Tim Holtz Vintage Shabby collection. I scored the dotted lines and folded and glued my piece into a triangular cone. I glued the lacy edge of a paper doily along the top and used some Tim Holtz tissue tape to create a kind of border about a good half inch from the top edge, making small folds to follow the rounded shape of the edge. I used stamps from the Artistic Outpost Haunted Halloween set to create the images on the three sides, and further embellished with some burgundy roses and ribbon from Wild Orchid Crafts
The little metal embellishment was made by embossing a piece of silver mirri card with a cuttlebug embossing folder. This was then painted black with acrylic paint and immediately wiped off again with a bit of kitchen paper. That way bits of paint get stuck in the embossed bits and give the faux rusty look. The actual shape was then die cut.

11 comments:

  1. Very nice. So much detail and fun techniques. Thanks for sharing!..Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cone, and a great idea! I love the look of the decoupaged napkin for the base. Thanks so much for the tutorial and for the wonderful the template!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummy Halloween project! I have been making cones but hadn't thought of the flatter variety..appreciate the template!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cones are amazing! I love all of the wonderful embellishments you used, and the colors, too. Thanks for the great tutorial, now I need to make some myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the great template. Your cones look lovely decorated this way. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your project- pretty colors and love the image and samples you have shown. Thanks for the template!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is utterly fantastic!!!
    From start to finish, soup to nuts, you've thought of darn near everything! I can't wait to try this free template on for size. Thank You so much!!!!!!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do love this! Thank you for the beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! thanks for the template!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://vivalas.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-halloween-at-viva-las-vegastamps.html?spref=fb


    Just wanted to let you know I love your Treat Cone and borrowed your pattern on my DT project for Viva Las VegaStamps... I did link back to your post here for people to find the pattern!!!! Hope You don' t mind...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin