Saturday, September 17, 2011

Deb Corder: Watercolor Spotlight

This month we're celebrating both Friendship and also spotlighting techniques.

What do you see first when you look at this card? I hope the colored ladies. When you have a highly detailed stamp like this one, a good way to draw the eye to what you want to see first, is to color only that part.

I stamped this Lost Coast Designs stamp with Jet Black Archival ink. Then with my aqua pen and Distress Inks I colored the two ladies (they remind me of my sister and me in about 30 years... grin).

For this next step you could use water colors but I used my Copic pens. The alcohol in the Copics slightly smudges the Archival ink..but in this case it acts to sharpen the ladies.

With BG10 I went around each colored lady just outside the colored area. Then to blend that blue, I used B000 to feather that color out a bit more. Now they seem to pop off the page!

Finally, I used a sponge to add a neutral color around all the edges. And in a half moon arch I added a halo of Vintage Photo outside the blue outline. After the Copics dry you can almost not see that hint of color.

I then finished the card on a neutral base.

11 comments:

  1. This looks really effective - I like it and will have to give it a go!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique (and fabulous image).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece! Thanks for sharing how you colored it. I love the tip about haloing the image with copics - never thought of that! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that stamp and card!! It is not only a great technique but really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the great tips! I like the technique. It looks really good.
    Its also very funny!
    Best wishes
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this technique with us! My favorite part is how you blended around the ladies. I love how that looks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful wonderful card. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two ladies do pop off the page. I like the whole look of this. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my fave stamps in my collection and I like this technique too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin