Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jean Franks Beck: Spotlight Panel Tutorial

The focus is on spotlighting this month during our tribute to Gal Pals, and I thought I'd show you another quick and simple way to spotlight images on your cards. For this technique, you will need a blank white or ivory cardstock card base, black waterproof ink (such as Ranger Archival Ink), Distress Inks (or any other coloring medium you might prefer - markers, pencils, etc.), Post-It Removable Labels (or other means of masking your image - large regular post-its will work okay, too), a grid ruler, and some favorite rubber stamps. For my card, I used Viva Las VegaStamps' Four Tulips image and Friends Are The Flowers sentiment.

Start by stamping your image onto the cardstock in black ink. I stamped my image twice, so that it covered the majority of the space. I also stamped the sentiment.


Next, use a grid ruler to line up a Post-It Removable Label to cover the left portion of your image:

Use a ruler to do the same on the right side of your card, using the post-it to keep the card in place as well. Be sure that you have "framed" a pretty portion of your image that you wish to highlight:

Because I wanted to use Distress Inks, I need to mask my image so that I could do the background of the flowers first. I simply stamped the image onto another post-it note, cut it out, and masked the tulips. I burnished all of the edges of the post-its with a bone folder - you could use a ruler or your fingernails, too.

Next, fill in the background of your image with color. Make sure to color right up to the edges of the post-its!

Remove the mask from the main part of your image and color it in, again, remembering to color right up to the edge of your post-its so that the edges of the spotlight panel are well delineated:

When you're done coloring, carefully remove the post-it labels... and have fun with the "reveal:"

And there you have it - an easy alternative to the traditional spotlight technique, and a fast way to add color without having to color your entire image. Hope you can give it a try!

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! The finished look is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an awesome idea; i can't wait to try it. thanks Jean! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lOVE this, can't wait to give it a try! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning effect! Love how you colored with distress inks too...such a soft look and beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the technique... great stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Great reveal! I love your card and thank you for sharing your technique with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, Jean--love this technique!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this technique - spotlighting is one of my favs - and you did a great tutorial on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! It really brings them to life! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this technique! Great tutorial, card is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this - I'm going to try this right now - hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this technique! I have to remember this one, its so cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin