Friday, October 14, 2011

Penny Bennington: Alcohol Ink Resist on Glass


Here’s a fun and easy alcohol ink technique to make cool Halloween decorations. The technique is one by Tim Holtz and to start, you need alcohol inks - I’m using terra cotta and butterscotch - 2 pieces of 2in.x 2in. glass, a block and felt piece to apply the ink, and a craft sheet to work on - an absolute necessity when working with alcohol inks to protect your table and make clean up really easy.


Apply both colors of the ink to the felt and then pounce it onto the glass piece.


I applied the ink to both pieces of glass, because you will need a front and back piece. It will be dry within a few seconds. Next apply archival ink to your stamp. You can use any color of archival ink, just make sure the pad is juicy.



With the stamp face up on your surface, press the glass piece down onto it placing the side you just alcohol inked onto the stamp.


When you pull the glass piece off the stamp it will look like this, and yes it looks terrible, but just wait.....


Quickly blot the ink away with a paper towel.



And now you can see the cool resist effect as the archival ink pulls off the alcohol ink! I found it worked best by blotting with the paper towel rather than rubbing. The key definitely is to quickly blot off the ink before it has a chance to dry or it won’t come off. But never fear, if you don’t like your results, you can wipe everything off with blending solution and start again.


So I just have to ask, does this happen to anyone else?????? This is my cat taking over any empty space on my table - he has his own unique way of “helping”. Anyways, he’s the inspiration for the rest of the project.



My next step is to stamp onto the glass on the side opposite the alcohol ink. I used a portion of this black cat stamp and stamped with StazOn ink. Here's another tip for correcting any mistakes with this step - if your stamp slips when stamping on the glass, you can wipe the glass with a baby wipe if the ink is still wet, or blending solution or solvent ink cleaner if it’s dry and stamp it again to get a better image.



The final step is to sandwich a 2x2 piece of white cardstock between the 2 glass pieces - I couldn’t resist putting paw prints on the back! - and slip all the pieces into a Ranger Memory Frame.

Here’s what the final cat charm looks like.


Here are all three together showing you different stamp combinations. I hope you give it a try!

Stamp credits:
Backgrounds: Alpha Stamps, Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz Seasonal Reflections (this one gives you text you can read - so cool!), A Stamp in the Hand
Images: Cherry Pie Art Stamps, Hero Arts, Stampers Anonymous Studio 490, LaBlanche

12 comments:

  1. I really like this technique and will have to give it a try. My cats, especially my boy, Aleister, LOVE to "help" me when I'm crafting. I usually wind up only using a tiny space half on and half off the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very cool technique! thank you for the details. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, thank you for sharing this wonderful technique with us!

    I love your helper =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you have done with this technique Penny, love your cat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tutorial, Penny, and stunning results! Thank you!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penny -

    Great tutorial and I really love how the pieces look! Thanks for sharing with us.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your cat is gorgeous and I love how these came out. Which make of stamp is the cat one please ? x Lavinia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool Penny! I love how your kitty came out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fantastic!I love them,and what a gorgeous cat you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just adorable.... and yes I have to dogs that insist on sitting on my lap while I craft..lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this wonderfully detailed tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous pieces, Penny, and wonderful tips along the way! Yes, I have two little feline "helpers," too.... and one of them is a craft supply thief! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin