Saturday, November 19, 2011

Alexa Noble: Sculpting with Glass Bead Gel

This month we have been featuring seeds and beads and so in keeping with beads, I thought I would have a play with one of my favourite mediums, Glass Bead Gel. I use one which is made by Golden, but any other brand would give the same results.


You will need acetate, glossy accents, tags, pointed sculpting tool or skewer and your images. I have used images which I downloaded from Diva D'Este but this project would also be great for images sourced from magazines or your own stamped ones.

I started by covering my image with glossy accents. Don't make it too thick otherwise it will ooze out onto your acetate and you'll have a lot of clearing up to do! I have tried other mediums to stick my images to the acetate eg Mod Podge, but they all leave small air bubbles so that is why I use glossy accents.

Stick your image face down onto the accetate and then turn it over so you can smooth out any air bubbles. Once all the bubbles are out, turn the acetate back over and clean any excess glossy accents away with cotton bud then leave to dry.

Once dry, apply a coat of gel. It is translucent when you apply it but it driers clear. Once you have covered the area, use a pointed tool to create patterns in the gel and then leave to dry which can take some time so be patient!


While your images dry, cut an aperture in your tag and then decorate it. I used a combination of sprays, paints and stencils to create my backgrounds and then stamped my images over the top.






The large butterflies on this tag were beeswaxed and have idea-ology pen nibs sewn on as their bodies.




There are many more things you can do with this gel. It can be tinted with paints or sprayed with glitter which is great for snowy Christmas rooftops and trees.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and feel like having a play! x

5 comments:

  1. This looks great, I love sand texture gel, looks like I need some of this to play with now....looks fab.love the butterfly tag, trace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never used bead gel so its great to see how it performs. Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh texture! great results will have to find out where we can get our inky paws of this gel in the UK XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin