Saturday, December 17, 2011

Deb Corder: Beeswax

Let me start by saying that I've never worked with beeswax before this week. So, I'm not sure this is so much a tutorial but lessons learned along the way. Some things worked. Some things didn't.

But let me take you on my journey.

A couple of points of interest. Beeswax smells like honey and is sticky....not too surprising. It can be thick and opaque or thin and transparent. Either way it's easy to add or remove wax if you don't like what you have. Just reheat with a heat gun.

I had been looking at various methods for melting wax including the UTEE heater by Ranger. Truth be told, I found that a bit pricey for an experiment. Then I happened across this mini crock-pot for $16. Two things. 1) This mini gets VERY HOT...so be careful not to burn yourself. 2) Don't try to reuse for food later.

I put about 1/4 c of pellets in the pot. It took about 15-20 minutes to completely melt.

For this collaged piece I wanted a sturdy ground. This is foam core. You can find it at any hobby craft store near the poster board. There is paper on both sides of the foam. It cuts easily with an Exacto knife. Just score thru one side.

It will break along the score line and then you can cut thru the other side. I cut a 6x6 piece.

To cover the foam core, I found different music paper backgrounds. In the end I mostly used some of Tim's tissue paper.

Beeswax will act as a glue. Using a natural bristle paintbrush I just started laying down layers of melted wax, paper, and more wax. It cools quickly.

To remove layers, I reheated with my heat gun and scraped layers of wax off with a used gift card.

When I got to the point where I was satisfied with the musical layers, I added a piece of white card stock and clipart. One of the great things about beeswax is that you can buff it with a cloth to add a shine. So as I heated and buffed the clipart was glued down and covered with wax.

I tried adding a little Pearl Ex to the wax. The first bit of mica bunched up but as I buffed it worked its way into the wax. I used dried out baby wipes as a buffing cloth.

I also sprinkled embossing powder around the edges. The beexwax and EP combined into a very nice texture. Then I added a few pellets of wax around the edges and heated them directly.

And as Donna Downey would say..."I love the drip-age"!

I added a bit more Pearl Ex and then buffed the entire thing until it shined (which made getting a good picture difficult). I trimmed the extra paper off and embellished my carolers with a die-cut lamp post, wood scroll and greenery.

I hope you've enjoyed my waxy journey. I don't think this will be my last try with beeswax.

Happy Holidays to all!

Deb

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a science experiment! Can't wait to try this! Glad that you ironed out some of the kinks for us Deb, cheers, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't work with wax very much, but I like it, especially the way it makes some old papers transparent. This posting has inspired me to get the stuff out again. I don't use pellets but blocks. I cut off what I need and heat it in an old pan on the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project - I've never thought of using beeswax with embossing powders, it gives a lovely effect.

    When I use beeswax I work with a block of it, hold it it directly over the project and melt it on by using one of those mini quilter irons - less messy and easy clean up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really fun. I am getting a melt pot for Christmas and can't wait to try Beeswax out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't wax just yummy! I love how your collage came out, so very pretty with lots of texture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! ...I have some of that board...I must try your tute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I've tried wax in my melt pot but it was not a success this is Brilliant XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous!!! Thank you so much!!! I never knew how it was used...You are a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful project. I'm determined to try beeswax in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant job, Deb! Can't believe it is your first go, you are a good sport!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin