Friday, January 13, 2012

Petra Berendsen - Restructured Paper

This is a project I wanted to do since I had seen it in the Cloth Paper Scissors magazine: Restructured Paper using whatever paper and other scraps you have at hand. It was a workshop by Frankie Fioretti and Susan Pickering Rothamel.

I started by making my supply list: lots of scraps, glue, non-sticky mat, brush.


Frankie and Susan recommended to use PPA (Perfect Paper Adhesive) .. which I don't have. I also do not have Modge Podge so I experimented with gel medium and PVA glue which worked fine. (The PVA glued piece buckled a bit but I ironed it later before using it for my art work.)

Then I figured out that my non-sticky mat would not be big enough for the project. I found a substitute in the brown greaseproof paper, the one with the waxy appearance.


I covered the greaseproof paper with the glue and then started the 'fun' part by layering bits and pieces of paper onto the glue and glued a bit more whereever necessary. Very quickly the first paper layer was finished and then various other bits and pieces were added including thread, lace, die-cuts, ....

I allowed the paper to dry over night which was difficult (lol) and then peeled it off the greaseproof paper. The finished 'new' or restructured paper (front and back):



So, having created a new piece of paper ... what can you do with it? I stamped on it, heat embossed it, cut it, layered it, ..... I think the answer is: the choice is yours just get creating! But one word of warning when making restructured paper, you might find that you will never ever be able to throw anything away anymore ever - even the tiniest of scrap (lol) - enjoy, Petra.



26 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to try this-great tutorial, thanks Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this look fabulous will have to try this technique...alrady have a big box of scraps....just in case lol.

    Thanks for sharing Petra
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great technique,must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks like fun, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic! Thanks for a great tutorial Petra. I can't wait to give it a go as I have a HUGE box of bits which I just can't throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great fun...and the result is gorgeous!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow!!!! these are amazing....I am always amazed at what you can create with just paper!!! lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, I love scraps of paper! This project is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an awesome idea! I'm sorting through my scraps right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. This paper could be used for so many thing. Thank you for showing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, now that's just too brilliant!!! LOVE! Thanks for sharing--pinning this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! Great way to use up scraps. I'm trying this on my next mixed media piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant! TFS Petra! Been meaning to try this myself since reading that CPS article, lol!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is right up my alley. It looks gorgeous.
    I too love this way to use up my scraps of paper:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it!! Definitely on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous idea!! I think your right about saving every little pice of scrap!! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like great fun. Geez. I already save everything. I have got to try this Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic tutorial Petra. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've made these before, Petra, and just remembering the process, as I read your tutorial, brought back a flood of memories about making them. I'm thrilled to see your example, too. It is incredible. You make excellent art and lovely tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic. Ooer I have enough trouble throwing things out already :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing, Petra! So do you mean the layer of glue on your greaseproof paper becomes the backing to all the scraps? I can see this could be highly addictive. Also is greaseproof paper something readily available at a craft store? Or maybe regular wax paper from the kitchen would work? I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun! I love that you've added lace, doilies, etc. - bits of non-paper scrap. It's gorgeous! Thanks for the fun tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this technique is sure a lot of fun, I did a piece after reading CPS as well - still got it waiting to be used somehow
    thanks for reminding me ! x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Brilliant technique and tutorial, Petra. Can't wait for you to come over so we can give it a go!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin