Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Helga Stauss: Faux Distressed Wallpaper Background

Hi artists!

I've got another fun tutorial for you. This is one of my classic go-to backgrounds that I do all the time. I like to call it my Faux Distressed Wallpaper Background even though there is actually no wallpaper used at all.

Here's how:First, pull out your supplies. You'll need some vintage ephemera - whatever you have on hand. I used ARTchix Studio Vintage Labels and Science Pages. Plus, you'll need a rubber stamp (I used Judikins damask pattern) along with Staz On ink, gesso, UHU glue stick and watercolor crayons. You'll also need a surface for collaging on (I used ARTchix Eco ATCs).

Rip and tear vintage ephemera into strips and pieces and add them to the Artist Trading Cards. Glue them into place with your favorite glue when you like the look of them. I used a UHU glue stick.

Paint on white gesso sparingly...leave some parts without any gesso. Use the gesso as a way to blend the papers together. Let dry.

I love to rubber stamp onto my ATCs at this point. Staz On ink is great. This rubber stamp from Judikins reminds me of an old wallpaper damask pattern.

To add a bit of color, I like to scribble on watercolor crayons.

Blend them with a damp paintbrush.

And use a paper towel to dab, try rubbing it in light circles...all in an effort to blend the colors into the background.

Rub black watercolor crayon around the edges to give it a finished look.

Ta da! Check out this cute ATC! It includes a Faux Distressed Wallpaper Background along with an ARTchix bird and one of my Hand Painted Eggs.

Another ATC using this fun and easy background technique. I only added a rubber stamp and color to the bottom section. And ahhh, more of my Hand Painted Eggs. I've been putting them on everything lately! lol.


Thanks so much for having me as your monthly muse! It's been an honor! Come visit me anytime on my website (online shop & free classes), blog (creativity, cuteness and freebies), etsy (handmade art bits & charms) or facebook (art challenges & more) : )

- Helga

5 comments:

  1. You make it look so easy .. thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial Helga. I have a great stamp to use for this. Might have to give me a try.
    Love your eggs!!!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this background helga, thanks for your step-by-step! I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin