Monday, February 13, 2012

Helga Strauss: Faux Speckled Egg Background Tutorial

Hello artists!

Today, I'm going to share a super fun and easy background technique. I like to call it my Faux Speckled Egg background.

To start, you'll want to pull out your supplies. For this technique, you'll need vintage ephemera, glue (I used a UHU glue stick), acrylic paints, foam brush, toothbrush, a cup for water and a surface to collage on (I used a recycled envelope.

Rip and tear vintage ephemera into pieces and glue them onto the front of the envelope.

Add ARTchix eggs if desired. Paint on acrylic paints in a random fashion...varying your strokes horizontally and vertically. I used 3 colors: Martha Stewart's Scallion and Surf and Americana Light Buttermilk. They're nice egg-y colors.

Right now, the current challenge supply on Gingersnap Creations is masking tape so I decided to incorporate some into this tutorial for fun. I layed some down and stenciled an "A" in the center of the envelope.

I used more masking tape to hold down a mask.

Now the really fun part! It's splatter time!! Get out an old toothbrush and dip it in water. Then tap, tap, tap the wet toothbrush into brown acrylic paint (I used Golden's Raw Umber)...get it all good and covered with watered down acrylic paint. Then hold it over your envelope and flick the bristles with your finger. Do this all over your piece.

Ta da! Here is the envelope complete with Faux Speckled Egg background.

I also tried this technique on wood and then had my hubby cut out these cute eggs for me. Aren't they adorable?! They're going to be for sale on my new etsy shop later this week.

See you in a couple of weeks with another fun tutorial here on Gingersnap Creations! Or come see what I'm up to on my blog - I post inspiration and fun giveaways on my blog every Wednesday. : )

12 comments:

  1. looks lovely - and like a real mess LOL - gotta give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Helga, it's fun splattering, a fav of mine. Loving those eggies.
    Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wonderful eggs.. thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of your nice comments! So nice to see you all here! Tristan, hope you try it, it's so darn fun! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this after reading this and had a ball!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin