Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lucy Edmondson: Faux Modelling Film Tutorial

A cheap and cheerful tutorial today! This came about through experimenting after seeing the Ranger Clearly for Art Modelling Film in my local craft shop. I wondered if it would be possible to use clear packaging material in the same way to make flowers and butterflies and give them some dimension. These are the ones I made:-


The packaging material I used was the clam-shell kind you get Idea-ology products in. Cut off the edges so you have flat pieces to work with.


Glue the packaging material to your chosen papers with gel medium or PVA.


Burnish it with your fingers and let it dry very thoroughly as you don't want to cut it when it is soggy.


Put it through your Cuttlebug with the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die. If you don't have a die cutting machine or a suitable die (I don't think thin dies would cut through the plastic and cardstock layers), you can rubber stamp with StazOn and cut out your images.


As I don't like waste, I cut some extra ones of the smaller flowers using the left over pieces, partly because I find small flowers more useful for most projects. This is what they will look like now. (I used some Crafty Individuals' Spring background papers, and Tim Holtz Shabby Vintage).


Apply the heat gun to the petals just for a few seconds and bend into your preferred shape with your fingers.



Assemble your flowers in layers. I used a hot melt glue gun as it needs a strong glue to adhere plastic.


I used some Making Memories metal flower charms rubbed with a little gesso, and also some metal bead caps of different sizes for the centres, again using the glue gun.


For the butterflies, I cut the images out roughly from a sheet of Kaisercraft Bonjour 12 x 12 paper and glued to the packaging material. Use any butterfly collage images you have. Add some Stickles if you like! Fussy cut when the glue has dried.


Bend the wings as for the petals.


You can also rubber stamp on your card stock or on your plastic with StazOn, to give your flowers an extra pattern. Here I used the netting background stamp, a good sized one, from the Rogue Redhead Designs Just Sayin' plate. It's just the right size for a piece to go through your Cuttlebug!


And look at this! I love this one, although I maybe should have used a softer StazOn colour but at least it stands out for the purposes of you seeing it clearly in this tute! In the flesh, the plastic side gives the flowers quite an enamel look.


Great discovery - how about fabric! You know how it normally goes floppy, but the plastic makes it sturdy and easy to shape. I have gone for the fabric side uppermost, to show the texture.


This is a card I made using a butterfly and flowers made with the above method. The gorgeous image is from the Relish Reading plate from Rogue Redhead Designs, coloured with Distress Inks.



There are lots more things you can try. You can use the packaging material on its own, without paper, maybe with stamping or with alcohol inks?

I do hope you will have fun with this technique. I would be thrilled to see what you make - go on, humour me!

32 comments:

  1. This tuto is so inspiring. Using plastic and fabric opens endless possibilities.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, The stamped pattern on the flower is such a cool effect. Than you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this Lucy, I have a sack full of packaging that I've been keeping 'just in case' so I will definitely be trying your fabulous techniques x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial ... and what a great way to recycle and create art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, love this technique, especially with the fabric, I'd never have thought of that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tutorial...cant wait to try this! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your flowers!

    Like you, I have been making flowers out of packaging since I saw Clearly for Art film being used. I've coloured mine with alcohol inks, but been disappointed because they didn't show up very well. Thanks for the tip about sticking patterned paper or fabric onto the packaging! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'll humour you...and hug you for the great idea, especially the fabric idea. I'll get busy now and post it on my blog when done
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tutorial. Thanks a bunch for sharing. I love to make my own things and this is perfect: recycling and so economical YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had wondered about using packaging but not tried it, fabulous flowers, the fabric ones are just so beautiful. Thank you for your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had wondered about using packaging but not tried it, fabulous flowers, the fabric ones are just so beautiful. Thank you for your tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous tutorial and great ideas for paper and fabric will be trying this out with all my saved packaging! Thanks for sharing

    Maggie H

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love repurposing. Thanks Lucy.
    I have one question, the shiny plastic is on top of the image so you can see through it??? I know it may be obvious to others but I like to be sure. I have saved packaging a well, now I can put it to good use.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant tute Lucy! You do have some fab ideas! TFS! xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic idea I was going to try experimenting with fabric flowers in my melt pot but this gives a great effect well done and thankyou for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a brilliant idea. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fantastic idea and great tutorial - thanks alot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awsome tut!! I like the fabric idea. Tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant idea. Great tutorial and great use for all the over packaging that I detest!!
    Thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great Lucy - thanks for sharing.
    Valx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will try this for sure, looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic tute, Lucy... thanks for spelling it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this tutorial, particularly with the fabric, it made me go ooooh! I love using Clearly for Art, but I'm going to try with my old packaging for sure now. Waste not, want not, as they say! Judith xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for a great tutorial. Always wonderful to find a creative way to reuse old packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so going to have a go at this. Makes my little flowers look like weeds :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful words!

Other Articles Which May Interest You:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin